Sales guru and one of the industry’s leading lights, Zig Ziglar, has died at the age of 86.
A World War II veteran, Ziglar became the top sales person in several organisations before striking out on his own as a motivational speaker and trainer.
With his Deep South charm and lessons grounded in Christianity, Ziglar wrote over two dozen books and amassed a following of millions who were encouraged by his lessons for success.
He spread his message of positive attitude, motivation and success through stories punctuated with short quotes that became legendary among his followers.
He was world renowned for his motivational sayings and here are the top ten:
1. “Remember that failure is an event, not a person.”
2. “You will get all you want in life, if you help enough other people get what they want.”
3. “People often say motivation doesn’t last. Neither does bathing—that’s why we recommend it daily.”
4. “There has never been a statue erected to honour a critic.”
5. “People don’t buy for logical reasons. They buy for emotional reasons.”
6. “Expect the best. Prepare for the worst. Capitalise on what comes.”
7. “If you go looking for a friend, you’re going to find they’re scarce. If you go out to be a friend, you’ll find them everywhere.”
8. “A goal properly set is halfway reached.”
9. “Your attitude, not your aptitude, will determine your altitude.”
10. “If you can dream it, you can achieve it.”
He was born Hilary Hinton Ziglar in Coffee County, Alabama. His family moved to Yazoo City, Mississippi, and later to New York City.
In his autobiography, Ziglar described a challenging childhood that taught him to connect with people.
He began speaking in public as a salesman in the 1950s, although his professional speaking career did not start until the 1970s.