Sales within an SME is an exciting role, as you can make a direct impact on influencing the bottom line. The other side of the coin, however, is that it also carries additional responsibilities - if you don’t reach the targets, the owners won’t be employing you, and employees won’t have a job – so no pressure then!
1. Start with the employees! They might not be in sales but have lived and breathed their company as if it were their own for years, so always have insights into companies or areas they think the service or product would fit into.
2. Expand though current clients. VoiceNotes specialises in the financial sector – banks, asset managers, investment companies. So really understanding the target market (especially if pretty niche, which a lot of SMEs are) and expanding through departments or countries can often be just the case of asking your current key decision maker ‘who does your role in the US’?
3. Referrals. We all know that existing clients or even prospects can be a great source of referrals, but a lot of the time we don’t use them, as the British reserve comes into play to not ask outright. In SMEs it’s not like a corporate, and when you truly believe in the service you are offering it’s surprising how contacts are happy to help spread the word among colleagues, friends and contacts in the industry. Everyone likes to recommend a service that saves your time and helps (in the financial market) keep up to date with regulations.
4. Don’t spend ages if a key prospect says no. Sometimes in an SME there is more pressure to secure sales quickly, but it’s important not to over sell, as the target are intelligent people and even if they don’t need it, then simply knowing about it is great for awareness. Know when to back off!
5. Be the best advocate for your service when selling it to prospects – use it yourself! We provide a service that allows you to leave meeting notes and actions in one call, which are then typed up, proofread and emailed back to you, your PA, sales support, or direct to a company CRM system within minutes. Perfect for all of my meetings too as my memory isn’t what it needs to be post the event!