Gift of the gab, smooth talking, charismatic, can talk to anyone; these are all phrases that would describe a salesperson, right?
Well yes, that probably is right, having these traits is indeed a fantastic asset for customer facing people (including telephony based). So that must mean that introverts purely work in back office admin roles?
Well yes, again, the vast majority probably do, but not all; some of the best salespeople I know are introverts. Impossible…
Let me offer my support to this bold statement.
- Introverted salespeople often turn out to be the relationship builders within your sales team.
- They genuinely care about how your customers think, feel and act with regards to the brand that they work for and the products that they sell.
- They care about the intricacies of the relationship; they don’t just see a sale, they see a person and the potential to build a lasting relationship with them.
- They take the time to understand your company’s offerings, researching your customers, and have never ever uttered the words: ‘I am just going to wing this one’.
- The introvert won’t be top of the sales table after 6 months, but will be on the way up towards the end of that year. More than likely they will be number 1 or number 2 from then on.
- They will be the one with an amazing complaint record, proactive when a product is launched, and well prepared to mitigate any objections due to their belief in your company’s products.
- They are active listeners that react to your customer’s body language and tone, and spend time analysing material that will aid them through the sales process.
- They believe that impressions last, and will make sure every effort is made in the first contact.
Does this mean that none of these traits can be found in an extrovert? Well no, of course they have some of these traits, and they already have one skill they know an introvert will never have; the innate ability to walk straight up to anyone and comfortably start a conversation.
To all those introverts out there that have taken the time to read this article; believe in yourself. You have the skills to succeed. Keep striving to improve, seeking out training opportunities and developing your closing techniques. Continue to sell with pride and above all, never stop caring.
From a fellow introverted relationship builder.
Daniel Ireland is Managing Director of Our Sales Experience - an end to end sales & service company that helps small and medium sized businesses engage better with their customers at varying touch points.