A person’s job success is predicted both by their IQ and their mental attitude. The contribution of IQ is in fact only 25%, with the remaining 75% made up by a person’s optimism, mind-set and ability to see stress as a challenge rather than a threat. By changing your mind-set you can increase your sales performance.
“Tis nothing good, nor bad, but thinking makes it so” - Shakespeare
Our brains perform significantly better when they reside in a positive state, rather than a stressed or even neutral state; this is called the ‘happiness advantage’. When in a positive state of mind, our intelligence, resilience, productivity, creativity and energy levels all increase. This positivity causes an increase in dopamine production in our brain, which turns on our learning centres and increases motivation to complete the task (Hamid et al. 2015).
The good news is - you can train your brain to be more positive, which will enable you to reach this higher state of productivity and creativity. At SBR Consulting we say it takes about 21 days to form a new habit and that habits are created from practice. These habits are much easier to form when you attach them to an existing habit eg. when you brush your teeth each night, use this time to reflect on three positive experiences from your day.
Training your brain to be positive and optimistic:
- At the end of each day list (either mentally or in writing) three things that went well in your day. This process will help to train your brain to focus on the positive aspects of your life and experiences; maintaining this habit for at least 21 days will ensure your brain retains this cognitive pattern, directly leading to increased positivity.
- At the end of the day write a couple of sentences about one of these positive experiences from the past 24 hours, to encourage your brain to re-live the positive experience.
- When you open your email inbox first thing in the morning, make your first email a thank you or praise email.
- Do not be afraid of failure – embrace failure as an opportunity to learn. High performers are less afraid to fail and more likely to take (calculated) risks.
- Understand that you cannot exert control over every aspect of life, there will be things that you must accept, for example: the weather, transport or the financial market. Don’t let a train delay affect your mood, accept it and move on.
- Set clear daily goals and write them down, don’t keep it in your head! Physically ticking things off a list increases dopamine.
Chose one or more of the above to be a new daily habit. You will train your brain to be more positive, productive and creative. Get in touch to share your success, I would love to hear from you.