"The man who is afraid to risk failure seldom has to face success." - John Wooden
Do you suffer from a sort of psychological paralysis?
Are you feeling physiologically stuck, incapable of taking the necessary required actions to develop yourself, increase your sales and enhance your career?
It’s been said, “When men are ruled by fear, they strive to prevent the very changes that will abate it.” And real change, personally and professionally, is the ultimate goal we share.
Discovering our mental foibles
The quality of our thinking determines the quality of our results. Taking an inside look at our mindset is the first step toward overcoming the fears holding us back from unlocking our true potential. The following mental obstacles are common amongst all individuals and teams in pursuit of excellence.
- We equate mistakes with failure. By globalising specifics, personalising errors, and operating out of context, we become afraid to try.
- We allow our past experiences to haunt our present attitude and stunt our ideal future. “Fears are nothing more than a state of mind,” writes Napoleon Hill, author of Think and Grow Rich.
- We set unrealistically high goals for ourselves. Self-confidence must be preserved and nurtured, realistically and systematically.
In my work with very exceptional athletes and business leaders, I discovered that fear can be harnessed to our own choosing. Fear is controllable. Fear of failure, in particular, can be overcome.
3 Ways to overcome the fear of failure
1. Recognise that fear of failure is very common in high performers. Sales leaders across industries must deal with and persist through the fear of failure.
2. Redefine failure for your team. Sport psychologist Harvey Dorfman advised, “Results do not indicate performance failure. Poor behavior and execution do.”
3. Rationalise your thoughts to replace the irrational. Think about what you want to do, not what might happen to you.
The future is not only in your hands, it’s in your head!
Think smart to win and you will achieve breakthrough success in your life and career.
By René Vidal is a mental toughness expert, professional speaker, and co-author of Play Smart to Win in Business: Leadership Lessons from Center Court to Corner Office. To listen to his Unshakable Mental Toughness Podcast or sign-up for free coaching tips, visit his website.